It’s been 60 + years since artificial intelligence was coined. Since then, the field of AI has gone through vigorous research and development, billions has been spent and so far, we can only boast of narrow artificial intelligence.
There are so much hypes around AI today and likewise, so much under-estimation of its current powers/abilities.
These facts ranges from the scary to the exciting, and from the shocking to the bizarre.
Here are 101 fascinating facts about Artificial Intelligence.
- John McCarthy was the person who coined the term “artificial intelligence” in 1955.
- The founding fathers of Artificial Intelligence are John McCarthy, Alan Turing, Marvin Minsky, Allen Newell, and Herbert A. Simon.
- The Logic Theorist designed by Newell and Simon in 1955 is considered the first AI program.
- An European Parliament Committee recommended that AIs be offered a form of human rights.
- In October 2017, Sophia (an AI Robot) became the first robot to receive citizenship of any country, after being awarded Saudi Arabian Citizenship.
- Artificial Intelligence systems can analyze more medical information in a day than human doctors can in a year.
- An AI algorithm was able to detect an Ebola outbreak more than a week before it was announced by the World Health Organization.
- In 1997, IBM AI Machine called ‘DeepBlue’ defeated the Chess World Champion Garry Kasparov, in a Chess Game. After Gary Defeated it, earlier in 1996.
- In 2019, IBM AI machine called Debater lost to a top-ranked human debater, Harish Natarajan.
- Google has a Quantum AI Lab where, unlike other companies, they actually own a quantum computer.
- Between 2013 and 2017, venture capital funding towards AI increased 4.5 times, and venture capital in total increased by 2.08 times!
- A killer AI robot was created and is in use in Israel and South Korea. The robot can decide and kill any target of interest.
- Researchers at the University of Stanford created a machine learning algorithm that is capable of predicting death with a shocking 90 percent accuracy.
- In 2019, Ai-Da (An AI Robot) named after Ada Lovelace (world’s first computer coder), became the first AI Robot Artist.
- Eugene, an AI System designed at England’s University of Reading, was the first AI to pass the famous Turing test, in 2014.
- The first successful AI program was a checkers (draughts) program developed for the Ferranti Mark 1. It was written by a teacher and amateur coder named Christopher Strachey.
- AI systems Can Be Biased.
- In 2019, 77% of Consumers Are Already Using AI Technologies.
- The AI healthcare market is expected to hit $6.6 billion by 2021, according to Accenture data.
- Humans can feel emotional connection to AI Robots.
- In terms of energy efficiency, modern machine learning machine uses 2 watts in contrast to the human brain that uses 20 watts
- The most advanced humanoid robots can hardly compete in mobility with 6 years old child, after 60 years of Artificial Intelligence research and development.
- Artificial Intelligence Brains are digital while the human brain is analog.
- In 1637, Philosopher Rene Descartes pondered the possibility that machines would one day think and make decisions.
- ELIZA, developed at MIT by Joseph Weizenbaum, was the world’s first chatbot – and a direct ancestor of the likes of Alexa and Siri.
- In 2011, Cognitive computing engine Watson faced off against champion players of the TV game show Jeopardy!, defeating them and claiming a $1 million prize.
- Researchers studying the annual ImageNet challenge in 2015, established the fact that AI-Powered Machines see better than humans (narrowly).
- Artificial Intelligence systems spot cancer in tissue slides better than human epidemiologists.
- Artificial Intelligence systems can predict hypoglycemic events in diabetics three hours in advance.
- Trade Stocks! Yes, AI can trade Stocks.
- AI plays Go better than humans.
- Creativity! Artificial Intelligence systems write poems that get published.
- Do you know? AI write sports articles for the Associated Press.
- In 2018 a machine of Microsoft translation system achieved human-level quality and accuracy when translating news from Chinese to English.
- Top scientists and technologists like Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates and Elon Musk believe that AI is a very dangerous threat to humanity.
- AI Assistants Are Often Female (Siri, Alexa, Cortana).
- Carl Djerassi (the scientist who developed the birth control pill), wrote a program called DENDRAL in 1965, which could automatically discover unknown forms of medications.
- Google’s Artificial Intelligence Bot once said that the purpose of living is ‘to live forever’.
- Super-intelligent computers will become better than humans at doing anything we can do.
- AI can Identify potentially threatening weather.
- Artificial Intelligence can lip-read better than humans.
- Our future is undeniably intertwined with artificial intelligence.
- The first self-sufficient and truly autonomous cars appeared in the 1980s.
- Hemingway is an AI Robot that can write faster than humans. Wait for it! It can also mimic anyone’s style of handwriting
- AI Reads Handwriting Better Than Humans.
- In 2017, A University, Tsinghua in China, saw that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning course enrollment was 16x larger than it was in 2010.
- A group of researchers at MIT in 2018, created an algorithm capable of detecting whether someone is depressed.
- AI can write its own machine learning software.
- In 2017, Facebook was experimenting with teaching two chatbots, Alice and Bob, how to negotiate with one another. But the bots has to be shut down because they created and started communicating in a Secret Language.
- AI beat the best human players at Texas Hold ‘Em poker.
- Reports say that half of Worlds Artificial Intelligence unicorns are in China.
- Machine learning can only be as good as the data you use to train it.
- “Robot” comes from the Czech word robota, meaning“drudgery,” and first appeared in the 1921 play R.U.R. (Rossum’s Universal Robots).
- More than a million industrial robots are now in use, nearly half of them in Japan.
- Robert Williams, a Ford assembly line worker, is the first human in history to have been killed by a robot. He was hit by a robotic arm in 1979.
- AI can come up with thier own recipes.
- Artificial Intelligence systems don’t possess emotional intelligence (at least for now).
- Artificial Intelligence are not originally creative (it can’t be Creative on it’s own).
- Google’s photo recognizer marks black people as “gorilla”. Personally, this is annoying (am black). But it turns out, Artificial Intelligence are not always ethically and politically correct.
- AI Algorithms find unexpected opportunities where a person does not provide for severe restrictions: they behave like hackers and are looking for optimal solutions to problems.
- According to Oracle, 78% of brands have already or are planning to implement AI by 2020.
- Almost a half of companies (46%) lean more towards investing in AI than anything else according to Forrester.
- 80% of leaders in both the business and technology industries believe that AI helps increase productivity in the workplace.
- AI don’t generate new knowledge, it is dependent on good data to create meaningful information.
- Gartner recommends calling AI’s “smart machines,” as calling it “intelligent” suggests human characteristics AI doesn’t have.
- Alibaba Co-founder Jack Ma, in 2019 in response to AI being smart said, “My view is that computers may be clever, but human beings are much smarter”.
- 80% of Artificial Intelligence professors are male.
- Moravec’s paradox states that a computer can crunch numbers like Bernoulli, but lacks a toddler’s motor skills.
- Deep learning, a subset of AI, trains machines to think like humans by mimicking the complexity of human thought.
- Artificial Intelligence is not the same as Machine Learning. Machine Learning, as a matter of fact, is a subset of Artificial Intelligence.
- China has seen a 500% increase in annual robot installations since 2012.
- According to IMT Technology Review, “big data and machines learning can devise and trial new drugs much faster”.
- A lot of major financial firms have their own AI algorithms to predict market changes.
- IBM’s ‘Watson’ has a 90% success rate diagnosing cancer, with human doctora only at 50%.
- 33% of marketers believe the major obstacle they will face when it comes to AI is how to incorporate it into their daily lives.
- When you interact with AI as a default voice it is mostly a female as studies have shown that both women and men prefer the sound of a female voice.
- Machine Learning as a separate area to grow in 1990s.
- When Artificial Intelligence is deployed, online shoppers tend to spend more.
- Facebook’s News Feed uses Artificial Intelligence to personalize each user’s feed.
- In 2018, Netflix saved $1 billion recommending personalized TV shows and movies to subscribers as a result of their machine learning algorithm.
- Artificial Intelligence today is over-hyped, as AI systems still fall short of Intelligence despite the AI Booms, like understanding conversations or causal relationships.
- Self-driving cars have crashed, in some instance, killing the driver or a pedestrian.
- Advanced form of Artificial Intelligence today are built on deep learning models. And deep learning models lack deep understanding of things. Therefore, AI today lacks deep understanding of things.
- According to Tencent in 2018, millions of AI engineers are need but at that moment, there are only 300,000 AI Engineers.
- According to the latest research and AI statistics, financial services companies will spend $11 billion on artificial intelligence in 2020.
- Google analysts believe that next year, 2020, robots will be smart enough to mimic complex human behavior like jokes and flirting.
- Already 77% of the devices we use feature one form of AI or another.
- 65.8% of Smartphone Owners Have Used an AI-Voice Assistant.
- The Washington Post’s “AI Writer” (Heliograf) wrote more than 850 stories during the Rio Olympics.
- The number of AI startups since 2000 has increased 14 times according to Forbes.
- In 2019, start-ups will surpass the leading giants like Google, IBM, Microsoft, and Amazon in driving the AI economy according to Garner.
- Cyborg technology will help us overcome physical and cognitive impairments.
- Google’s Machine Learning Program is 89% accurate according to Google.
- According to McKinsey, Amazon reduced its “click to ship” time to 15 minutes, a 225% decrease with Artificial Intelligence.
- By 2020, 85% of customers’ relationships with business enterprises will be managed without human involvement.
- In 2005, the US Military started investing in AI (Autonomous) Robots. And BigDog, made by Boston Dynamics, was one of the first product of their investment.
- Artificial Intelligence development has seen two major winter’s (a period when research/development of AI suffered major declines due to shortage of funds) in the 1979s and 80s respectively.
- By 2020, customer insights–driven businesses will see $1.2 trillion more per year than their less-informed peers according to Forrester.
- In 2002, iRobot created the first commercially successful Robot for the home. And it’s the popular AI Vacuum Cleaner, Roomba.
- Artificial intelligence is more accurate than doctors in diagnosing breast cancer from mammograms, a study in the journal Nature suggests.
- The top 10 companies leading the AI race in 2019 according to TechJury, are;
102. The top 10 Countries leading the AI race in 2019 according to AnalyticsInsight, are:
- United States
- United Kingdom
What a list, right?
I must confess, this list is quite difficult to compile. When I started, I felt it was going to be a quick rap, but it wasn’t.
Diving deep into the internet and searching for facts about Artificial Intelligence, that are interesting and educative is no small deal.
101 fascinating facts about Artificial Intelligence.
it was worth it.
Come on now, pin it on Pinterest, share it to Facebook, just spread the word.
I’m a Tech Stock Analyst, with focus on companies developing cutting-edge techs. Keeping track of cutting-edge techs, companies and stocks is what I do almost everyday. And I love it. Whether it’s artificial intelligence, 5g, or autonomous vehicles; I’m all in.